Ethical standards are very important in the auto repair area; just like in any business. As car owners we have invested time and money into our vehicles. We use them almost daily and need to depend upon them working.
In the world of automotive repair, the majority of auto repair shops are professionals who are very committed to high ethical standards. Unfortunately,this does not happen at every shop.
How do I know if a repair shop is on the up and up? Consider the following points:
- Is the shop clean and organized?
- Are the mechanics certified? Their certificate(s) (ASE or tech school) should be displayed for you to see.
- Does the service advisor or owner give you details of the needed repairs and why they are necessary? This, can and should, be given to you in the form of pictures and/or a courtesy check. If several repairs are needed, are the repairs prioritized with safety concerns first?
- Communication is key. Are you informed of what is happening with your vehicle in a timely manner?
- A courtesy check should be completed and you should get the results in a paper copy or e-mail.
- Does the shop use high quality parts?
If you don’t feel comfortable with something—ask more questions! A professional repair shop wants you to be informed and comfortable with any work that you agree to have done.
#ethicalstandards #certifiedtechnicians #courtesycheck