Holiday traveling is something many of us look forward to. Unfortunately too many people forget about their car until the last minute. Ugh! Glad you are thinking ahead and preparing your car for the holiday travel; whether it be for Thanksgiving, Christmas or both.
If you have the time, you can certainly do the inspection yourself. But if you find that you’re running a bit short on time, our technicians here at Bob’s Auto Service will be happy to do the inspection for you. Be sure to make the appointment at least a week ahead of time to give yourself plenty of time to address any issues that my need to be addressed.
Here are a few tips to help guide you:
Tips Toward a Safer Holiday Road Trip
- Check wiper blades and replace if needed; be sure to check the small wiper for your back window too. Be sure to clean the windows inside and out…. good visibility improves safety.
- Inspect all your lights in the front, rear and interior. Be sure to check all 3 brake lights.
- Is your vehicle due for an oil change now or will be before you return? If you are bringing your vehicle in for an inspection, our technicians will also check the fluids, air filter and inspect the belts on your vehicle at no extra cost.
- Check your belts and hoses. Check the belts and radiator hoses for cracks or squishy to the touch. Hoses generally last 4 years or 60,000 miles.
5. Look at your vehicle’s engine air filter and cabin air filter. Replace if they look dirty.
6. Carefully inspect the brake pads for wear. Brake pads start out with 12 mm of material and need to be replaced when they have 3-4mm of pad left. The rotors should also be checked for wear.
7. Check your tires! Worn tires can be a real safety hazard for you and the other people on the road. Here are two links with more information on tires and what to look for during an inspection:
Hope your trip is fun and relaxing!